Zumba

The Future Mrs. Davis

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Salads!

     I don't know why it took me so long to make this amazing salad. If I would have known it was SO DAMN EASY, I would have been eating a lot of it long ago. I get like that though, afraid to venture out to do or buy some things.
     Well, I finally made my first purchase of mozzarella cheese. I have been growing a basil plant, and have started (thanks to my boyfriend) cooking with olive oil.


     This plate is only one roma tomato! and I sliced the sliced mozzarella in half, so as not to overpower the tomato. A leaf or two of basil, washed, in between the cheese and tomato. Then i sprinkled a little salt over the entire thing. This salt step is huge for me, as I don't add salt to anything, I even go out of my way to buy low sodium items. Then i drizzled a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the whole thing. Mmmm!

     Also, last night, I ventured into making my first homemade pasta salad. I usually buy the boxes of Suddenly salad and add my own few twists to them, but this one was all from scratch! I started with this recipe, but here is what I ended up with:

8 ounces Garden rotini noodles
1 large avocado, halved, seeded, chopped, peeled
4 slices bacon, crisp cooked, drained and crumbled
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
1 medium zucchini, coarsly chopped
1 can peas
1/4 red onion

Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to package. While pasta is cooking, empty can of peas into pot and add zucchini, on low heat. Heat until zucchini is slightly tender.
  2. In large bowl, combine avocado, bacon, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and onion.
  3. Drain pasta, peas and zucchini. Add to large bowl and mix all ingredients together. Serve.



     I totally forgot the cheese that the original recipe called for, but it was delicious nonetheless. I am thinking next time of adding chunks of mozzarella. I also think the onions were a little crunchy for the rest of the salad, but their taste was a good addition. I will definitely make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment