Zumba

The Future Mrs. Davis

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Healthy Waffles?

     I have been craving waffles, so decided to try and be healthy and make whole wheat waffles. I've had this bag of whole wheat flour just waiting to be used, so why not?
     Searching through pinterest this morning, I remembered I had posted a waffle recipe already, and I wanted to try it. My boyfriend was once again still sleeping, so I snuck out of bed and followed this recipe.
     As I was mixing it all, I realized my sister had not bought milk last night as she said she would, so in my waffles I used 1 cup 2% milk and 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk.
As I don't have an official waffle iron, I busted out with using the George Foreman. I think it worked well. This is a picture of the second batch, just a little short on the batter.
     I also topped my waffles with creamy peanut butter, half of a banana and just a little bit of syrup.
     Overall they turned out ok. They tasted like a healthy waffle, but a little rubbery and thick, but so very filling. We each only ate half of one and are very satiated. I think that is a success.



  • 1 1/2 cups whole grain pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 2/3 cups fat-free milk
  • egg whites
  • 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup

Directions


1. Preheat the oven to 200°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3.
In a medium bowl, combine the milk, egg whites, brown sugar, and oil. Add to the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Fold in 1 cup of the blueberries.
4.
Coat a nonstick waffle iron with cooking spray. Preheat the iron.
5.
Pour 1/2 cup of the batter onto the center of the iron. Cook for 5 minutes, or until steam no longer escapes from under the waffle-iron lid and the waffle is golden. Place the waffles on the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
6.
Repeat with the remaining batter to make a total of 8 waffles.





No comments:

Post a Comment